gatorindo

free counters

The WORLD at my FINGERTIPS

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Coolest Elevator in New York

Last week, I was scouting office space in a building in Queens. My guide brought me to this totally unassuming elevator.

Elevat (01)
Really, I have to show you this as I encountered it:
Elevat (02)
Elevat (03)
Elevat (04)
Elevat (05)
WOW. It’s like Willy Wonka built an elevator to the land of Oz! Easily the coolest elevator I’ve ever been on in New York:
Elevat (06)
Here’s a full panorama looking toward the rear of the elevator (that’s a railing beneath the mirror)…
Elevat (07)
…and a reverse pan showing the front:
Elevat (08)
Lining the ceiling are these great monster heads made out of mechanical bits…
Elevat (09)
Each is poking through its own hole:
Elevat (10)
More characters, including a king:
Elevat (11)
Another character:
Elevat (12)
The elevator is a last remnant from when the former Macy’s warehouse building catered to a more artsy clientele. In fact, the entire lobby was once decked out in matching accoutrements, most of which have been removed as part of a conversion to more traditional office space. Thankfully, the new owners decided to keep the unusual elevator in the back corner.
Elevat (13)
Best of all, there’s a cool fish-eye mirror at one end, which makes it look like you’re leaning out of some parallel dimension:
Elevat (14)
I’m a big fan of anything that makes my day a little more surreal, and this is the last thing I was expecting on the other side of those bland white elevator doors. If anyone knows who the artist was, please let me know!
-SCOUT
PS – One other installation was left in the lobby – a school bus, apparently paused in the midst of an avant-garde crash:
Elevat (15)
Not sure if this hand is causing the accident or saving it…
Elevat (16)
But it’s probably a safe bet you don’t want to be in either of these seats!
Elevat (19)

No comments:

Blog Archive

gatorindo's shared items

My Favorites

  • http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/Customer/Reels.aspx?title=Motion%20Gallery:Sh...
  • The Lists
  • Favorite Women